20170308

KNOTS LANDING

Abby: Are you about to offer me something or am I about to hear another analysis of what I stand to gain theoretically? 

Greg: At this stage of the play what I stand to gain is theoretical. 

In August 1984, some 90 cast and crew of the TV series 'Knots Landing' arrived in Oregon coast to film the exteriors of Newport-Gleneden Beach area, Depoe Bay and Salishan Lodge. Those 8 new episodes would to be shown in the 1984-85 season. Rick Hert of the Newport Chamber of Commerce told the press at the time, "It means big bucks (estimated to be around $1 million). August is going to turn out to be a hot month for Newport. I've got people who are coming down in busloads to catch a view." 

Greg: This house of yours sure has an attraction for my family. 

Abby: Maybe you don’t make them feel welcome enough at your house. 

Michele Lee spoke to Associated Press before their departure, "I think we're going to Oregon during the (1984 Los Angeles summer) Olympics to film the Lotus Point scenes. I guess if Lotus Point stays in the story we'll go to Oregon every year. Lotus Point is a piece of property owned by Gary Ewing and Abby Ewing and me. I'm involved because Sid and Abby were brother and sister.

"I don't try to keep track of the whole story. I read the whole script. But sometimes I don't even see everybody on the show. They're off shooting on another stage, or maybe I don't work that day. It's not like it used to be when we worked closely together." Apart from the tourist business for Newport such as accommodation and meals (crab and steak were noted), many local people were hired as extras. 

Rick Hert used the opportunity with the 'Knots Landing' cast in town to give up to 40 interviews with radio stations and newspapers, "You can’t buy that kind of advertising." Lorimar Productions reportedly built the exact duplicates of the interiors of Salishan Lodge in Hollywood for filming of scenes to do with Lotus Point resort and condominium complex. 

Greg to Laura: I told you Abby was working overtime unloading that land (Empire Valley). She's trying to sell me damaged goods (some 50,000 acres of prime real estate). I'm beginning to appreciate my old man's sense of humor. (Paul) Galveston dies and he leaves a chunk of ground that everyone want. The joke is he planted it (Empire Valley) in toxic waste. (Viewers were told Empire Valley was once a chemical waste disposal site for arsenic and arsine gas). 

Greg got Abby a seat on the board of the State Planning Commission. Through Peter Hollister, who pretended to be Sylvia Lean's son (Paul Galveston's alleged illegitimate son), Abby learnt Empire Valley land would be worthless should she vote, as Greg wished, in favor of the Water Reclamation Project because in order to reclaim the water for the lower San Javier Valley, the water would be diverted from Empire Valley and in time Empire Valley would become dry.

In 1973, Ruth Roman terrorized moviegoers playing Mrs. Wadsworth or mama in the shocking motion picture, 'The Baby'. On 'Knots Landing', Ruth Roman and Sylvia Lean received equal font size billing. Ruth Roman believed, "When God gave out the talent, he threw a little my way. I thank God for giving me a career – or a hobby as I call it – in acting. I'm playing Sylvia Lean. I don't know where they are going with her. I wish I could tell you about her but they don't tell me anything. That's the way they write this show. I'm not being cute; I really don’t know."

Greg to Peter: I believe in family kid. If you're family you deserve your fair share of your father's estate right down to the last paper clip. If you're family you are going to get it. And if you're family, you can prove it by helping your brother recover what Gary Ewing stole - Empire Valley - and if in the process we were to bring down Gary and Abby Ewing, well, I guess that would be their family's problem. 

David Jacobs explained, "The basis for any successful show is good storytelling. It's much easier to come up with stories for 'Dallas' than 'Knots Landing'. There is a high level of outrageousness in 'Dallas'. In 'Knots' we can't run the risk of offending the viewers or challenging their suspension of disbelief. In 'Dallas' the characters involved are 'them'. In 'Knots' the characters are 'us'. That's a disadvantage for the writers. 'They', meaning the big rich, can get away with things 'we', the less affluent, can't. 

"Some things can't be done on 'Knots'. None of our characters are able to get a $10 million loan to buy an oil field. There's more freedom on upscale shows which make them more fun to watch. You can catch viewer interest with sex but you can't hold them. Sex helps when you don't have power and wealth going for you. We're trying for more flamboyant stories with a harder edge and, of course, sex will be a by-product of these changes. We paint on a relatively small canvas compared to 'Dallas' and 'Dynasty'. We are more fragile. We can't upset the balance of believability. But we do cut closer to the bone."

Michele Lee added, "We've always been a service-oriented show. We're always giving subliminal messages to the audience. Did you ever notice that whenever we get into a car, we always buckle up? What makes us different from 'Dynasty' or 'Dallas' is that we're not just dealing with people who have a lot of money, although we have gotten a little upscale in recent years (since the 1983-84 season). But we exemplify middle-class values."

As the 1985-86 season came to a close, Greg Sumner encouraged Peter Hollister to run for the senate after convincing state senator Billy Henderson of the State Legislature to vacate the senator seat which would enable another candidate to fill. Billy Henderson was described as the "strongest environmentalist" would then come out of retirement and come to work as a full time consultant for Galveston Industries. Greg told Peter he was offering him "power, not just money." 

Laura to Greg: Why in God's name do you want to sponsor Peter Hollister for the state senate?

Greg: I can put him in office. Don't you see, I'll be back in politics. It's like the good old days. 

Laura: Why Peter?

Greg: Fate, I guess. In no time at all I can have him in the United States senate and the next step is the big chair. I think it will be an interesting hobby for the next few years.

Blog Archive