20171010

CHARLIE'S ANGELS

In May 2017, Sony Pictures announced it was planning to release the third 'Charlie's Angels' picture on June 7, 2019. The 2000 movie grossed $264.1 million around the world and the second film, 'Full Throttle' earned $259 million. 'Time' magazine had described the original series as an "aesthetically ridiculous, commercially brilliant brainstorm surfing blithely atop the Zeitgeist’s 7th wave." 

By 1986, 'Charlie's Angels' could be seen in about 90 countries, from Sri Lanka to France, from Italy to Bangladesh. In 2011, the American Broadcasting Company ordered 8 remake episodes of 'Charlie's Angels'. Seven went on air. The pilot episode attracted over 8 million viewers but the numbers gradually reduced to 5 million plus viewers for the next few episodes. It was noted the show never came first place in its Thursday time slot. 

'Charlie's Angels', about three private investigators, was created by Ivan Goff and Ben Roberts. Aaron Spelling and Leonard Goldberg Productions made 115 episodes which originally ran for 5 seasons between 1976 and 1981. Tanya Roberts told 'People Weekly', "People talk about how silly the scripts are, how formula. Well, let me tell you, there are only eight basic plots in life and this show covers them all." 

Kate Jackson came up with the 'Angels' in the title and ABC chose the name Charlie. In the series, John Forsythe played the voice of Charlie Townsend, the owner of the detective agency. Fans of John Forsythe could hear him when he spoke to the Angels through a Western Electric Speakerphone. Episode 4 'Angels In Chains' was the most popular. 

One production crew recounted, "If it wasn't for the physical appeal of its 3 stars, particularly Farrah, it would be an also-ran. Frankly, many of us were surprised when in the 4th week of the survey period, it grabbed a 59% share of the market. This means that something like 23 million people are watching – and that's one giant-sized audience." Leonard Goldberg stated, "'Angels In Chains' was my favorite episode. 'The New York Times' ran a huge photo of the girls chained together wading through a swamp. The show got a 56 share. The rerun got a 52 share. I told Aaron we should just run it every week until it dropped below 40 and then make another show." 

Farrah Fawcett revealed, "One week, they didn't have a script so they gave us a 'Mod Squad' script. They just crossed out the title." By the end, Cheryl Ladd commented, "We became cardboard characters, Beverly Hills Girl Scouts. We'd talk to Charlie, we'd do the caper, then gather in the office and talk about the caper. It became a one-note song." 

Aaron Spelling conceded, "In my career as a producer, the line I hate to hear from an actor more than any other is 'I won't say this; this is s---.' Once fame sets in, the actors want to cure the common cold instead of reciting dialog." Jaclyn Smith made known, "Family, religion and morality are what I'm all about. Dennis (Cole of 'The Young & the Restless') is more old-fashioned than I am. Once in a while I let a vulgar word slip out at home and Dennis goes crazy. He turns into an iceberg. He doesn't even like to hear me say 'dammit'. One day he said, 'I wish you wouldn't use that language. Your image is so sweet and pure, if people hear you cussing, I'll get blamed for it.'" 

At 16, Cheryl Ladd left her home town of Huron in South Dakota to go on tour singing with a trio. They broke up when the group arrived in Hollywood, "In my (first) 7 years in Hollywood I've had more than my share of disappointments." Cheryl Ladd told the press until 1980, "I had stopped going (to church) because in California I was afraid that being religious wouldn't fit in. So I learned to cuss a lot. I don't do that much any more, and if I slip and use the Lord's name in vain, I apologize."

Cheryl Ladd remembered, "Farrah was a big deal. Suddenly within a year, she became the US sex symbol, and created the most excitement since Marilyn Monroe. Viewers fell for Farrah in a big way, and I was afraid they might resent anyone who took her place. So don't say I'm her replacement. I'm her successor." Tanya Roberts concurred, "I sort of see this (changing characters) as a continuing saga, it's like musical chairs at this point (by the 5th season). To me I'm just another person on the show and I’m not replacing anybody. There are two actresses and they wanted a third. If Jackie leaves next season, which she says she will, they'll hire another girl and the public will either accept it or they won't, like they accept me or they don't." 

Jaclyn Smith decided not to renew her 5-year contract initially at $5,000 per episode when it expired in 1980. Jackie told the press, "I'd really like them to bring back Farrah and Kate for my last show so the three of us could be together one more time, but the series will probably run for another 20 years, so I don't suppose they'd do that." It was understood in addition to their 'Charlie's Angels' pay packets, the stars could earn other incomes such as endorsing cosmetics, toys, games, posters or starring in the movie of the week. A working day on 'Charlie's Angels' reportedly started at 5 o'clock in the morning and may not finish until after 7pm.

Farrah Fawcett's manager, Jay Bernstein, informed 'People Weekly', "She was the female Robert Redford, the healthiest role model America ever had. In 4 years she made about $17 million (including $4.5 million from FabergĂ©)." David Doyle as John Bosley remarked, "The time I spent waiting for the girls' hair to dry probably put one of my girls through a year of college." One director disclosed, "The director’s job was easier than the hairstylist's job."

It was reported Jaclyn Smith at the time signed a contract worth $100,000 a year with Wella Balsam. On reflection, David Doyle added, "Without that show, some of us would be worth about $3.50 a week." Aaron Spelling acknowledged, "I can't say this of every show I ever produced, but I loved 'Charlie's Angels'. It put us over the top and made our company financially secure and incredibly desirable."

In May 1988, Aaron Spelling held a press conference to launch 'Angels '88' to be shown on the Fox network. As noted, "The show will not be a sequel of its predecessor. There won't be any Charlie, there will be 4 Angels instead of 3, and one is black." Aaron Spelling advised, "These angels will not report to any man. The premise is that they're actresses whose show went up against 'The Cosby Show' and was canceled. They stumble upon a case and solve it. It's a contemporary show. We'll also see their private lives. They'll date, we'll get into sex, safe sex, but it's not going to be sexy. It's action-adventure with a lot of comedy."

Cheryl Ladd continued, "I’m acting on this show the way I would on any other and I'm developing my own character. By working with the show's writers, I've established my character, Kris, as a human being. Kris brings comic relief to the show. She is funny, and doesn't do everything exactly right. I like her, and she is the kind of girl many people can relate to.

"My agent submitted me for the part. The show's producers decided I had the blonde hair and the looks they were seeking, that I was sufficiently similar to Farrah to be convincing as her sister. They knew I could act because I was not some untried starlet and I have been a guest star on several top TV shows. My work in such series as 'Switch', 'Ironside', 'Happy Days', 'The Rookies' and 'The Partridge Family' had not gone unnoticed. I have a 5-year contract, but it allows me to do other things during our recesses. I'm very happy doing 'Charlie's Angels' and delighted with the many side benefits it affords me (such as a $25,000 caravan, an ever-available limousine and chauffeur, and all expenses for location trips)."

Tanya Roberts told 'People Weekly', "I hate driving. If I ever have enough money, I'm going to hire a guy to chauffeur me around in my Volkswagen." It was reported Tanya Roberts came from a well-to-do family, one of the richest in Toronto society. Growing up, "I was a wild, rebellious kid" and it was her rebellion which led Tanya to give up that life of security to become a runaway, living on the street, and joining some street gangs.

Her years on the street was said had introduced Tanya to poverty for the first time and on occasions Tanya and her friends had to steal food in order to survive. Fortunately for Tanya, she did not fall into serious trouble and managed to overcome the hardship she faced to become one of the top models in New York - arguably one of the world's toughest city - earning over $100,000 a year. At one time Tanya also dated Saudi-Arabian film producer Dodi Fayed, the then 29-year-old nephew of Adnan Kashoggi, one of the world's richest men.

Tanya told 'People Weekly', "I'm not the all-American-girl type. I'm real New York. Once Jackie Smith and I were sitting around on the set and this guy was driving us crazy. I told him to buzz off and Jackie said, ‘You really are tough, aren’t you?' I tried to tell her there's a difference between tough and direct. I say what's on my mind, but I think I'm sensitive."

In California, Tanya Roberts confessed, "Jesus, L.A. drives you crazy. I'm used to weather and walking and people who say what they mean." She liked the characterless two-bedroom apartment she lived in once "because it has wood floors. My God, every other apartment in Los Angeles is done up with orange or green carpets. Jesus.

"Rona Barrett, for God's sake, can you believe it? She asks me all those questions - Do I think it ('Charlie's Angels') will last? I say, of course, I'm going to bust my chops. She asks me about the degradation of having to wear a bikini on the show, and I tell her that I'm really into women's liberation but I wear a bikini on the beach, why not on the show?" At the time, Tanya's sister, Barbara, was married to the drug guru Timothy Leary. Tanya was adamant, "I don't like to talk about their marriage. I don't think people in the Midwest would understand."

Blog Archive